Which course are you interested in?
Receptionist career prospects
As a receptionist, your career will mostly be centred around administrative tasks. These day-to-day tasks are made up of things such as receiving visitors, providing general info about the business, answering phones and scheduling appointments etc. It is important to maintain a professional standard at all times, as you will often be the first point of contact for the business you work at.
Receptionists generally are generally responsible for doing the following:
- Answer telephone calls and take messages or forward calls
- Schedule and confirm appointments and maintain event calendars
- Greet and welcome customers, clients, and other visitors
- Check visitors in and direct or escort them to specific destinations
- Inform other employees of visitors’ arrivals or cancellations
- Enter customer data and send correspondence
- Copy, file, and maintain paper or electronic documents and records
- Handle incoming and outgoing mail
These are relatively common duties for most receptionists, however, depending on where you work, you may be allocated additional or different tasks on a regular basis. Your specific responsibilities won’t always be the same.
As an example, working in factories, large corporations, and government offices may require you to provide a security function, such as keeping track of who enters and leaves the premises via a special logbook. The front desk may also require you to keep track of CCTV camera footage from your desk. Those who work in hospitals or doctor’s offices may need to gather patients’ personal information and handle payments from customers who have made use of the medical services offered.
When you aren’t busy with visitors or callers, you will most likely be working on document processing or data capturing. Maintaining an organised filing and data structure will allow things to run smoothly at whichever business you may be employed at. If you would like more information about the programme, or wish to consider studying with us, simply contact us or complete the form on this page to request a call back, and we’ll get in touch with you as soon as possible. We look forward to hearing from you.
Let us call you back
Not what you're looking for?
Try using the search bar below.